Thursday, August 13, 2009

Things that matter...

Lately, we've been beaten down.
About things that have hurt us beyond words and expression.
Brooke is the most important part of our lives, and will be forever. And the forever after that.

Allowing people to be part of her life is very important to us - we want to share her with the world! But when it's NOT the outside world that scorns you... it hurts even worse.

My marriage is absolutely incredible. Not the problem.
My family is always supportive. Not the problem either.

Zig and I have learned to surround ourselves with people who love us. People who love our daughter. People who wouldn't lie to us. People who support us as parents and understand our values. We try very hard to be the same kind of support system to our friends and family. I pray that we do a good job of that.

So when I think about the things that matter to us...and the things that don't...
Both are very short lists.

Things that matter...
Brooke.
Our marriage and the vows that we spoke.
Our jobs and the money we make.
The roof over our heads and the food on our plates.
Brooke's Nana, Pap, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins who love her more than words can describe.
Our future as a family of 3 (or more?)

Things that don't matter...
Opinions of judgemental people in this world.
Selfish people who think only of themselves.
People who would dismiss our family of 3 for the 'better things in life.'

I wouldn't be me without these two angels.

They are the best part of my life...and the most important thing in the entire world.

Things that matter. Things that don't.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Libby,
I hear ya! Sometimes I think the worst part about feelings is that they get hurt. Seems like you've got a good handle on the important things but sometimes it's still just hard.
Thinking of you!
Em