Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Her Father's Daughter...

This first picture from yesterday's scan is one of the only shots we got where you can actually see her face! On the left side of the picture, you can see her entire face, with her arms and hands curled up on the right side.
If you look really closely, you can see Brooke's right arm and elbow, left fist, and right thigh and calf. Cool, huh?
The joke in our household is...


Whenever Brooke is acting up, being "bad" in my belly, hurting me with her kicks, not doing what she's asked, etc...she is ZIG'S DAUGHTER.


I'll say something like, "Your daughter was really active today and my stomach hurts!"
Zig will always respond with, "Why is she only MY daughter when you're not happy with her?"
Then I respond with the obvious answer, "Because MY daughter wouldn't act that way!"


On the other hand, when we've had a good day, I'm feeling great, my weight is down, I had a good night's sleep, etc... Brookie is referred to as OUR daughter. Nine times out of ten, she is her father's daughter.


Yesterday, we traveled back to Harrisburg for our second ultrasound at Womb With A View. We were so excited to be meeting Aunt Meggie, Grammy Kathy and John there - so when Zig, Nana, and I got there, we couldn't wait to get started.


We had a different ultrasound tech this time, but the first thing she wanted to confirm was the Brookie was STILL a girl! I don't know what I would have done if she would have told me that there was a mistake last time, but there wasn't - and we were still looking at a gorgeous little girl!


We learned that Brooke is head down in my belly. She has more room this way as she begins to fatten up! The tech told us that she is very tiny, no more than 2 pounds, and that she's also very long and skinny! We compared weights of Zig and I as babies - me at 6 lbs. 4 oz, and Zig at 7 lbs 13 oz - and figured that she would probably be somewhere in between our weights.

She also mentioned that it looked like she already had a little bit of hair! SO WEIRD!


After a quick check of her heartbeat of 154, the tech started to scan to see what kind of pictures we could get this time. We were so excited to see her since we were prepared for a bigger, more 'baby like' image of her. But as soon as the tech started scanning near Brooke's face, she decided to run away and hide. Apparently, her head is so low in my pelvic bone and she is so comfortable against my placenta, that she is turned facing my back. We were able to get a few quick peeks at her, but because of the way she was laying, we couldn't see much. At one point she had her arm over her face...bashful little thing!


The ultrasound tech knew that we had come a LONG way to see this little peanut again, so she was trying lots of different tactics to get Brooke to turn around and roll over for us. I went outside and climbed a few flights of stairs with my sister, then drank some orange juice, and ate a few Starbursts, then a granola bar. Normally, food will get her moving, but she was fast asleep and wanted nothing to do with showing us her beautiful face.


We got a great look at her legs, arms, hands, feet, and belly - which is wonderful - but not as many pictures of her face as we would have liked.


Luckily, when this happens, the girls at Womb With a View give patients the opportunity to come back for FREE for another scan. There are just some things that we can't control, and the position of the baby is one of them.

So, even though we thought this would be the last 3D screening that we'd have, we're headed back on Sunday, July 27 at 3:30 for another try! At THIS last visit, we will get our DVD from all 3 sessions, and all of the still shots that they've taken of her.
I was disappointed that we didn't get to see much yesterday, but I'm very excited that we'll get another peek at her in 5 weeks!


Next time, we'll be heading to the city around lunch time for a quick bite to eat before heading to the ultrasound. This way, my belly will be full - which always causes her to move around and wake up. Hopefully, we'll have no trouble getting her to show her face - I don't know where she gets this modesty...certainly not from her Mother!


She is definitely her father's daughter...and I couldn't be happier about anything in the world!

No comments: